Robert T. Burks, MD
- Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
- sports medicine specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
- Robert W. Metcalf presidential endowed chair in orthopedic surgery
- Chief of Sports Medicine Division in Orthopedic Department
Dr. Robert Burks is a Professor of orthopedic surgery specializing in the field of orthopedic sports medicine and shoulder surgery. He is part of a small group with Board Certification specifically in Orthopedic Sports Medicine. His practice focuses on injuries to and degenerative conditions of the shoulder and knee. Dr. Burks graduated from St. Louis University School of Medicine in 1978. He completed his orthopedic residency at the University of California at San Diego and subsequently did a sports medicine fellowship with Dr. Dale Daniel, MD, in 1983, in San Diego. From 1983 to 1986, Dr. Burks was in private practice in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1986 Dr. Burks moved to Wayne State University as the director of sports medicine. In the fall of 1988, he joined the University of Utah, Department of Orthopaedics, and became head of sports medicine in 1992. In 1993, he was one of three sports medicine surgeons in North America selected by the America Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine to visit sports medicine facilities and surgeons in Europe in an exchange of ideas and approaches. In 1995, he spent 3 months with Dr. Richard Hawkins at the then Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado. He is a past Board of Directors member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America. He is an active member of the Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. He received The Thomas A. Brady award from this society for community service. He’s also an active member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons. In 1992, he became co-chair of the Metcalf Meeting following Dr. Robert Metcalf’s death. This was the largest continual running arthroscopy meeting in the world. In 2004 until 2017, he was the sole chairman of this meeting that attracted faculty and attendees from around the world. Dr. Burks is an author or co-author of over 100 published articles on orthopedic sports medicine topics. He is currently Division Chief for Orthopedic Sports Medicine. Dr. Burks practices at the University of Utah Orthopaedic Center and is in clinic on Monday and Thursday.
Robert W Metcalf, M.D. Presidential Endowed Chair
Chief of Sports Medicine Division in Orthopedic Department
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Steadman Hawkins Clinic
- Erickson GA, Burks RT (2016). Biceps Tenodesis: Arthroscopic Considerations and Fixation Options. In Abrams JS, Bell RH, Tokish JM (Eds.), Advanced Reconstruction: Shoulder 2 (2, pp. 201-211). Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Burks RT, Judd RJ (2016). Arthroscopic Single-Row Rotator Cuff Repair. In Ryu KN, Angelo RL, Abrams JS (Eds.), The Shoulder (Chapter 5, pp. 49-60). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK Incorporated.